CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Monday, 25 February 2008

Chicken soup, the best medicine!

Hi there!! Missed yesterday! OOPS!
Am still feeling better today :-) However still no Voice!!! Silly croaking/squeeking going on, much to everyones amusement...... except mine!
Need to get another doctors note to cover me from tomorrow, but my appointment is not until Thursday :-( You need a letter from the Pope to get a doctors appointment!!
Unfortunatly my job is handling telephones queries, so an audible voice is pretty essential!Will have to ring the doctors at the crack of dawn tomorrow to see if thay have any emergency appointments.
Ironing pile is still nil ( Yippee!) Finally cleaned out the fish tank (YIK!) and the cat box, full on pet poo day!!!!! Hoovered downstairs and mopped kitchen floor.( Note to self to order some of those vacuum storage bags to tidy the clothes in the loft.They are all in holdalls and suitcases and need to be vac packed)
Yesterday I made a big roast Chicken dinner ( As I do most Sundays, although I vary the meat) and after dinner I stripped the carcass for meat, then boiled the bones,skin etc for stock (Krys do u do this? ) Stored the stock and stripped meat in the fridge until today so I could make Mums' chicken soup. I say Mums', as Mum always made it when we were at home, and my Grandma did too, but its a very basic soup and you can chuck in what you want. Anyway I heated the sieved stock, and put in 1/2 cup of pearl barley and red lentils, salt to taste, after 40 minutes, added 4 carrots, sliced, 2 onions, chopped and 2 leeks, sliced into rings. Simmer for 1 hour and add the stripped chicken meat for the last 10 minutes to warm through :-) Delish!!!!!!!!!!!
Love family recipe's :-) Just like Mama used to make !
Whilst I was picking up the leeks and carrots, I also bought Ryan the game "Battleships" as he has seen me playing this online. After school, all 3 of us played battleships (We took it in turns to help Ryan) which was good fun, although the pegs seemed to keep popping out which sorta defies the object of the game! Will see if I can find an electronic version as the pegs are a little too fiddly for Ryan.
Did some school reading with Ryan, he is also learning "Fire safety in the Home" and had Firemen in school today giving a talk, how jealous am I!
Bought smellies for Mum as its' Mothering Sunday this weekend, also want to pop to Toys r us to get her the game "Boggle" which we LOVE!!! Regularly play that on "Our Fridays" ( I goto Mums every Friday afternoon, we prep dinner together and after dinner spend the evening playing cards, phase10, upwords, boggle and scrabble :-) Its a girl thing!!!)
I must explain that I have Boggle and Mum is Jealous!
Well Its past Midnight, like Cinderella I'm fast turning into a pumpkin, well u know what I mean!! :-)

Love n hugs

Wend....xxxxxx

2 comments:

Mrs. H said...

Do you just boil the bones and skin in water? Send me the recipe/instructions (word for word) be very detailed! Love to make it some day! I miss your friday night games. Jason and I had such a wonderful time when we visited! Still talk about it! I love that you and your mom have Friday nights together. Wished we were that dedicated. Jason's family is really good about playing games though. Love your blog!
K

Wendy said...

Yes, just cover the carcass, aong with any discarded bits like skin, gristle etc, cover with water in a heavy based pan ( I use a stock pot) and just simmer for AGES!! I usually leave it simmering for about 2 hours! To extract all the flavour from the bones etc. The water then looks like a cloudy pale brown colour. I would love for you to make it!