CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Sunday, 6 July 2008

Pork steaks poached in Cider...oooooohhhhhh!!

OK so this is a totally a hotch pot thing as I have been in a shocking terrible mood all day and felt the need to chop! Knowing I would get 20 years for chopping Franks' head off, decided to unleash my temper on some poor unsuspecting carrots and an onion!

As you know, I had no plans to crockpot today, I had my Chicken BBQ drums all ready. However 2 things swung this.

1 - I put on weight, hence emergency trip back down "Weightwatchers" alley.

2 - I simply could not, the lure of the crock was too much for me to bear!

So I decide to do the BBQ chicken for Frank and Ryan, leftovers to be taken to work by Frank, or shoved up his ass depending on my continued bad mood. And crock something for myself.

What was available?? Loadsa carrots and onions as usual ( these are staples in my house) and pork loin steaks, oh and in our loft we have 3 cans of strongbow cider;

before you all start to think I'm an alcoholic,sitting in the local park, with other drunks,swigging cans of cider complete with a bull terrier on a piece of string, you're mistaken!
I can't hold alcohol to save my life, so very rarely drink, well one glass of wine every 3 months or so hardly consitutes a trip to the Betty Ford!!
So I put the (chopped) carrots and (sliced) onion in the bottom of the crock, laid the 2 pork steaks over them and glugged 3/4 of the cider over the top, ground in salt, and "country" herb seasoning and left on high for 3 1/2 hours.
About 15 minutes before serving I added 1/2 tablespoon of cornflour dissolved in water, which thickened the sauce and gave a fab consistency.
OK I'm new to cornflour, I remember Alsion telling me she uses it a lot to thickensauces, and I distantly remember her telling me you always mix with water first before addingto anything, otherwise you'll just get a clump in your sauce.

So here I was, Cornflour in a small pot, do I use hot or cold water????????And how much?? And how much cornflour does it take to thicken the sauce???? Where on earth was Alison when I needed her???

Well I used cold water and just used 1/2 tablespoon, it did the trick! Although I'm STILL not sure whether you are supposed to use cold or hot water with it, will phone Mum later.
I had halved the amount, splitting it equally between my plate for dinner and a plastic container for tomorrow nights dinner, served with boiled new potatoes in their skins and YUM!!! Flavour was quite sweet, like the pork had been poached in apple juice, which of course it had! Sort of! It was delicious! I've decided that due to the lack of interest in the Haysom/Tinsley household I'm cooking my own stuff in the crock and the boys can have the stodge they favour.
The whole receipe was only 8 points( weightwatchers!) and thats for 2 nights dinners!
4 points for tonights dinner then, with the potatoes added (2 points) thats 6 points in all, and worth every point!


I'm feeling much better now, foul mood has lifted and I have a new recipe and some new experiences under my ever expanding belt :-)

Hooray for the crock!!

2 comments:

Mrs. H said...

Ok, I must say you are cracking me up! Your last several blog entries and comment on my post had me laughing outloud! Have you and Frank really been together 20 yrs? Doesn't seem so! J and I will celebrate 12 yrs in Sept. Your dinner looked yumm-o! Yes, you always mix your cornflour with water first before adding it to anything, I made that mistake and learned a lesson! I'll have to remember that recipe. We love pork loin! Hope you have a great week. I know I've gained weight this holiday weekend.

Wendy said...

nah! I would get 20 years in JAIL if I cut his head off! Although compared to living with him for the next 20 years, some days that may seem like a good option!
Been together 11 1/2 years for my sins!